This is a beginners guide to redeeming Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Miles. Essentially there are 3 ways in which you can use your KrisFlyer Miles for a redemption (1) Redeem for Flight Awards (2) Redeem for Flight Upgrades and (3) Mix Miles and Cash – otherwise known as Pay with KrisFlyer Miles.
- For example a flight from London is Zones 1 to 12 and costs a minimum of 35,000 (Economy), 80,000 (Business) or 107,500 (First/Suites).
- Using the London Example – Economy Saver 35,000, Standard 70,000 and Full is 95,000.
This is the full list of Award charts:
- Singapore Airlines and Silk Air
- Star Alliance Members
- Air India
- Virgin America
- Virgin Atlantic
- Virgin Australia
You can find more information about flight awards on Singapore Airlines and its partners here
Taxes, Fees and Surcharges
15% Discount for Flight Awards Booked through Singapore Airlines Website
KrisFlyer members receive a 15% discount when redeeming awards through the KrisFlyer website. This of course increases the value of your KrisFlyer miles and should be used wherever possible. If for some reason you have an issue booking through the website and have to use the call centre, you must ask for the 15% to be applied, stating your reasons as to why – the call centre staff will usually apply it.
- So in the London Example a one-way Economy Saver redemption if booked online would actually cost 29,750 instead of 35,000.
(2) Using KrisFlyer Miles for Upgrades
- Upgrade Award Chart for Singapore Airlines and Silk Air
- Upgrade Award Chart for Star Alliance Partners
Important Notes on Upgrades
- You can only upgrades flexible fares (S, Y, B or E classes) on Singapore Airline and Silk Air flights. Star Alliance partners have varying rules see here.
- Codeshares are not eligible for upgrades, even when marketed by Singapore Airlines
- Additional fees and charges will be added on for Upgrade Awards – for example tax increase due to changing from Economy to business Class.
(3) Pay with KrisFlyer Miles