This post looks at earning KrisFlyer Miles through Agoda which has been one of the KrisFlyer partners for a couple of years now.
But before looking specifically at Agoda it is worth considering the ways in which you can earn KrisFlyer miles through hotel bookings. Essentially 3 ways that you can earn KrisFlyer Miles through hotel bookings
- Through hotel points converted to KrisFlyer Miles
- Using Agoda as the booking agent
- Directly with the hotel using your KrisFlyer membership
Option 1 – Earning Hotel Points and Converting
The first option generally is poor value as you usually lose out through the conversion and I generally don’t advise it unless you are needing to top-up miles and/or there is a conversion bonus. There are exceptions to this like Starwood Preferred Guest which has a great conversion rate and it the cheapest way to buy KrisFlyer Miles.
Option 2 – Booking With Agoda
You third option and main point of this is earning directly through Agoda as the travel agent partner of Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer. This has the benefit of earning with hotels that aren’t part of the KrisFlyer hotel partner portfolio as well as taking advantage of the discounted rates that Agoda offers. You’ll earn a standard rate of 1.5 KrisFlyer miles per $1USD.
Option 3 – Using Your KrisFlyer Card Directly
As the earning rate for Agoda is standard at 1.5 KrisFlyer miles per $1USD you can work out when it’s best to earn via Agoda or not. KrisFlyer has a lot of hotel earning partners including all of the major hotel chains. Most of these hotels have a standard rate for earning no matter how many nights you stay but this more often than not starts at 500 per stay – this includes IHG, Club Carlson and Shangri-La for instance (check the full list here).
So for these as long your spend is under $330 USD then you’re better off handing over your KrisFlyer card at check-in instead of earning through Agoda. This of course has to be considered with the rates at the hotel and any current Agoda promotions (they do offer double miles on occasions).
Conclusion – When I Would Use Agoda to Collect KrisFlyer Miles?
This is all up to personal preference but I would collect KrisFlyer Miles through Agoda in a couple of situations:
- When the hotel is not a KrisFlyer Partner
- When my stay costs more the $330 USD total
- When I’m not staying at one of my preferred hotel chains (e.g. Hilton Hotels) – this for me is the most important one as when you book through any online travel agent hotel chains usually won’t grant you the benefits of that chain to you when you stay. Even if they do grant you the benefits they won’t offer you the stays towards your elite status.
For those that want a simple way to earn from hotels, this is perhaps the simplest method for you, and when there are promotions on it could be very lucrative.
Do you use Agoda to book hotels? What do you think?