This review of the American Express Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Credit Card is the fourth of the Singapore Airlines co-branded cards in Singapore.
About the Card
The American Express Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Credit Card is directly issued by American Express and co-branded with KrisFlyer. It is one of 4 Co-Branded American Express/KrisFlyer cards and is one of the two that you need to have PPS status with to apply (in this case Solitaire PPS Status)
You can earn 20,000 KrisFlyer Miles for spending S$10,000 in the first 3 months, 5,000 for your initial transaction and a further 15,000 with the spend.
There are better sign-up bonuses available here:
American Express Selects and Travel Accident Insurance are both benefits of the card. First 2 Supplementary cards are offered for free permanently. There are also a host of “lifestyle” for yachts, golf, nightlife and movie benefits, how you value these is up to personal taste.
The card also comes with Hertz Gold Plus Rewards giving you the following:
- 10% savings on published rates, including Hertz collections
- One car class upgrade (applicable to standard vehicles only and rentals of five or more consecutive days), subject to availability
- Fee-waived additional driver
What is the Annual Fee?
S$267.50 Basic Card fee (inclusive of GST). – There appears to be no waiver for this card, you can always ask!
Bonus for Renewal?
This card doesn’t come with any bonus for renewals, but does have a spend bonus.
You’ll earn an additional 10,000 KrisFlyer Miles if you spend $S50,000 in a year, and additional 10,000 if you hit $S100,000 in a year – so a maximum of 20,000 Miles.
This is the same as the UOB PRVI Platinum American Express Credit Card, but that only has a spend requirement of $S50,000.
For cards with renewal bonuses check out our regularly updated article here:
What Do You Earn per $1?
- Normal Spend: Earn 1 KrisFlyer mile for every S$1 spent on all your purchases in Singapore and abroad with your American Express Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Credit Card
- Singapore Airlines: Earn 2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on Singapore Airlines tickets purchased at singaporeair.com (except for flights from China, Russia, South Africa and Sri Lanka) and when you shop at KrisShop, in-flight or online – I didn’t see any mention of Krisspree.
- Partner Bonus: You can also earn 2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on eligible purchases at participating partners such as petrol kiosks islandwide, selected department stores, retail and dining merchants – see the list here.
The main bonus here is the 2 miles per $S1 at the department stores, which is a good earning rate for local spend (but you can do better with the Citibank Rewards card)
What is a Point Worth?
The points earned on the American Express Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Credit Card are credited directly into your KrisFlyer account so there is no conversion for the card which means you’ll be saving on the fees
So the 20,000 KrisFlyer Miles is exactly what you get. I would value the sign-up bonus therefore at around the $S400 mark.
I’ve done a few pieces on what a KrisFlyer Mile is worth:
- What is a KrisFlyer Mile Worth (Award Redemptions)
- Singapore Airlines Pay with KrisFlyer Miles Option – Is it Worth It?
- Upgrading Using Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Miles – The Best Value?
How Does this Compare?
There are other cards around with a better sign-up bonus, and better ongoing earning opportunities like the UOB PRVI card or the ANZ Travel Card (although greatly reduced recently). However this has the best on-going earning ratio for the KrisFlyer branded cards at 2 per $1 for Singapore Airlines and Selected partners.
The sign-up bonus is also better than the Platinum card available for PPS members.
Sign Up Bonus – 7/10
Ongoing Spend – 6/10
If you are a Solitaire PPS member and are looking for an easy way to earn KrisFlyer Miles on your regular spend then this might be useful for you. No conversion is required, and you get a decent earning rate for Singapore Airlines and some of the big department stores and petrol kiosks in Singapore. The Sign-up bonus has a high spend requirement though.
Here is the link to the card page on the American Express site:American Express Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Credit Card
Here are all of the co-branded KrisFlyer cards wherever you are: KrisFlyer Credit Cards