This review of the American Express Singapore Airlines PPS Club Platinum Credit Card is the third of the Singapore Airlines co-branded cards in Singapore.
The American Express Singapore Airlines PPS Club Platinum Credit Card is directly issued by American Express and co-branded with KrisFlyer. It is one of 4 Co-Branded American Express/KrisFlyer cards and is one of the two that you need to have any PPS status with to apply. To find more about PPS Status click here.
You can only earn KrisFlyer Miles through the card.
You can earn 15,000 KrisFlyer Miles for spending S$10,000 in the first 3 months, 5,000 for your initial transaction and a further 10,000 with the spend. The bonus is only applicable to those who have not held any of the co-branded KrisFlyer cards previously.
You’ll also earn an additional 10,000 KrisFlyer Miles if you spend $S50,000 in a year.
American Express Selects and Travel Accident Insurance are both benefits of the card. First 2 Supplementary cards are offered for free permanently. There are also a host of “lifestyle” for yachts, golf, nightlife and movie benefits, how you value these is up to personal taste.
What is the Annual Fee?
S$267.50 Basic Card fee (inclusive of GST). – There appears to be no waiver for this card, you can always ask!
What Do You Earn per $1?
- Normal Spend: Earn 1 KrisFlyer mile for every S$1 spent on all your purchases in Singapore and abroad with your American Express Singapore Airlines PPS Club Platinum Credit Card.
- Singapore Airlines: Earn 2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on Singapore Airlines tickets purchased at singaporeair.com (except for flights from China, Russia, South Africa and Sri Lanka) and when you shop at KrisShop, in-flight or online – I didn’t see any mention of KrisFlyer Spree.
- Partner Bonus: You can also earn 2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on eligible purchases at participating partners such as petrol kiosks islandwide, selected department stores, retail and dining merchants – see the list here.
What is a Point Worth?
The points earned on the American Express Singapore Airlines PPS Club Platinum Credit are credited directly into your KrisFlyer account so there is no conversion for the card. Meaning that the 15,000 KrisFlyer Miles is exactly what you get. I would value the sign-up bonus therefore at around the $S300 mark (at 2 cents per Mile)
I’ve done a few pieces on what a KrisFlyer Mile is worth:
- What is a KrisFlyer Mile Worth (Award Redemptions)
- Singapore Airlines Pay with KrisFlyer Miles Option – Is it Worth It?
- Upgrading Using Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Miles – The Best Value?
How Does this Compare?
There are other cards around with a better sign-up bonus, and better ongoing earning opportunities like the UOB PRVI card or the ANZ Travel Card (although greatly reduced recently). However this has the best on-going earning ratio for the KrisFlyer branded cards at 2 per $1 for Singapore Airlines and Selected partners.
Sign Up Bonus – 6/10
Ongoing Spend – 6/10
If you are a PPS member and are looking for an easy way to earn KrisFlyer Miles on your regular spend then this might be useful for you. No conversion is required, and you get a decent earning rate for Singapore Airlines and some of the big department stores and petrol kiosks in Singapore. The Sign-up bonus has a high spend requirement though.
Here is the link to the card page on the American Express site: American Express Singapore Airlines PPS Club Platinum Credit Card
Here are all of the co-branded KrisFlyer cards wherever you are: KrisFlyer Credit Cards