American Express has added in a few small promotions on this card so I’ve updated this review – the main change is that it’s being offered with Changi Rewards Gold Membership.
The American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold Credit Card is directly issued by American Express and co-branded with KrisFlyer. It is one of 4 Co-Branded American Express/KrisFlyer cards and is one of the two that you don’t need to have any PPS status with to apply.
You can only earn KrisFlyer Miles through the card.
What is the Sign-Up Bonus?
There is a sign-up bonus of 10,000 KrisFlyer Miles when you make your first spend on the card and then make a further $S5,000 spend in the first six months. The bonus is only applicable to those who have held any of the co-branded KrisFlyer cards previously.
The other co-branded Singapore Airlines credit Card the American Express Ascend has the highest sign-up bonus and for more cehck out this article:
Are There Any Other Benefits? – Updated February
American Express has dropped the free upgrade to Changi Rewards and now has included Hertz Gold Plus Rewards which offers the following:
- 10% off best available retail rates, including the following Hertz Collections (Fun, Family, Prestige and Green) at participating locations.
- One-car-class upgrade for rentals of 5+ days (subject to availability)
- Fee-waived additional driver
American Express Selects and Travel Accident Insurance are both benefits of the card. First 2 Supplementary cards are offered for free.
What is the Annual Fee?
S$117.70 (inclusive of GST) – There is a First Year Fee Waiver but this will only apply to new American Express Card Members who do not have any other existing American Express Card Accounts with American Express.
Bonus for Renewal?
This card has no renewal bonus – for those that do have a look at this article:
What Do You Earn per S$1?
- Normal Spend: Earn 1 KrisFlyer mile for every S$1.60 spent on all your purchases with your Card
- Singapore Airlines: Earn 2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1.60 spent on selected Singapore Airlines tickets purchased at singaporeair.com (except for flights from China, Russia, South Africa and Sri Lanka).
- 50% Extra KrisFlyer Miles for spend of 5,000 or more
- 50% Additional KrisFlyer Miles for spend of 12,000 or more up to a maximum of additional 8,000 KrisFlyer Miles
What is a Point Worth?
The points earned on the American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold Credit Card are credited directly into your KrisFlyer account so there is no conversion for the card. So any points earned are credited 1 for 1 as KrisFlyer miles. There are no conversion fees.
I’ve done a few pieces on what a KrisFlyer Mile is worth:
- What is a KrisFlyer Mile Worth (Award Redemptions)
- Singapore Airlines Pay with KrisFlyer Miles Option – Is it Worth It?
- Upgrading Using Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Miles – The Best Value?
How Does this Compare?
There are other cards around with a better sign-up bonus, and better ongoing earning opportunities like the UOB PRVI cards or the ANZ Travel Card (although greatly reduced recently).
Worth Getting the Card?
Sign Up Bonus – 6/10
Ongoing Spend – 5/10
Generally I would avoid the card unless you are spending on Singapore Airlines frequently. The other co-branded card the Ascend has a higher sign-up bonus (but with a higher spend requirement) – these are one time bonuses so go for that instead, for more details click the link below:
Here is the link to the card page on the American Express: American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold Credit Card
Here are all of the co-branded KrisFlyer cards wherever you are: KrisFlyer Credit Cards